The borough is situated within the county of North Yorkshire on the Yorkshire Coast. The borough covers an area of 315 square miles with a coastline that stretches 40 miles from Staithes in the north to Filey in the south.
Approximately 60% of the borough lies within the North York Moors National Park with the park authority responsible for the planning function within the park boundaries.
Most of the population live in the three main coastal towns of Scarborough, Whitby and Filey. Scarborough is the administrative centre for the borough and with a population of almost 60,000, is the largest.
The population of the borough contains a higher than average proportion of older people. More than 49.6% of the population of the borough are aged over 50, whilst around 26.9% are aged over 65.
- 315 square miles
- 108,700 people living in the borough
- 56,657 households within the borough
- 48.6% of the population are male
- 51.2% of the population are female
- The borough is ranked 75th out of 317 local authorities nationally in the Index of Multiple Deprivation
What does Scarborough Borough Council do?
Scarborough Borough Council was formed on 1 April 1974. There are 46 borough councillors representing a population of around 108,700 people.
Services like education, social care and roads maintenance are provided by North Yorkshire Country Council. Scarborough Borough Council services include:
- Planning: Planning applications, development management, forward planning and conservation.
- Economic Development: inward investment, employment and skill development, town centre management, business support, community engagement/support.
- Customers and Communities: a people-focused service that works collaboratively with a range of partners to provide services like customer services, community safety and safeguarding, the community environment team and sports development.
- Housing: Home Improvement Agency, housing options, residential regulation and homelessness.
- Benefits Service: ensure the right benefit is paid first time, every time promptly and accurately to all those entitled whilst guarding against fraud.
- Harbours Service: is responsible for the safe operation of the ports of Whitby, Scarborough and the Filey Coble Landing. The harbours team provides advice and guidance, port security, navigational aids, bridge openings and a dredging system.
- Projects Service: provides a range of professional project management and construction related services, which include: flood and coastal management, corporate project management including being the ‘Centre of Excellence’, procurement and management of construction-related services, structural engineering.
- Operations, Transport and Countryside Services: household waste collections, residential recycling and garden waste collections, clinical waste collections, street cleansing, litter control, public conveniences, environment enforcement including dog control, fly-tipping, littering, recycling contamination and abandoned vehicles, grounds maintenance including grass cutting, flowerbeds etc., parks, gardens, amenity and landscaped areas, arboriculture services, horticultural services and playgrounds.
- Emergency planning
- Operations and Events: on and off street car parking enforcement, management of events including those at Scarborough’s Open Air Theatre, community centres including Falsgrave Community Centre and Evron Centre, outdoor attractions.
- Environment and Regulation Services: provides a range of essential local services which include ensuring local food businesses comply with food hygiene/safety law, businesses comply with health and safety duties, resolve nuisance from noise, water supplies, air quality and contaminated land issues, licensing of businesses and bereavement services.
- Tourism Services: deliver a range of services which aim to support boosting the visitor economy, which include providing support for TV and filming companies, to media outlets, partner organisations, to the borough’s businesses, operation of the tourism contact centre and Tourist Information Points across the borough, supporting in the delivery of festivals and events, delivery of annual marketing campaigns and supporting conference and conference delegates.
- Human Resources, payroll and Health and Safety: provides a comprehensive range of strategic, advisory and support on matters such as the development of employees polices, advice and support in respect of all operational employees matters, administrative activities of all employees, learning and organisational development, health, safety and welfare of employees.
- Corporate Finance: oversees the local authority’s budgets, manage the collection of council tax.
- Elections, Democratic and Civic: manage and delivers all elections and referenda within the borough, provide support to all council’s committees including cabinet and full council, provide advice in respect of the council’s constitution, statutory decision-making, facilitate advice, training and support to elected members, administration and management of Mayoral duties, events and calendar.